Color Guard Protocol
The following protocol, based on the priority of God, Country and State, will be followed during the Texian Legacy Association Color Guard Ceremony. At the beginning of the ceremony, God is the first to be honored through the invocation, then our country and then our state through the posting of the colors and pledges of allegiance. While it is not always necessary, if there is to be a retiring of the colors, the order is reversed: first honoring our State and Country by retiring the colors and lastly, God through the benediction.
Posting of Colors
“I pledge allegiance
to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it
stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for
- Emcee: “Will you please rise for the invocation (by Reverend, Rabbi, Father …) and remain standing for the posting of the colors by the Texian Legacy Association.”
- Audience stands
- Color Guard Command Sergeant: "Color Guard post the colors" (flag is raised)
- Colors are Posted
- Color Guard Command Sergeant: “Present Arms”
- Color Guard comes to “Present Arms”
- (If the National Anthem is to be played it should take
place at this point in the ceremony)
- Emcee: "Please join me in the pledge of allegiance to
the United States Flag."
"Honor the Texas flag; I
pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."
- Emcee: "Please join me in the pledge of allegiance to the Texas Flag."
- Color Guard Command Sergeant gives order for Color
Guard to Retreat.
- Color Guard Retreats
- Emcee: "Please Be Seated."
At the end of the program, if the flags are to be retired:
- Emcee: “Will you please rise for the Retiring of the Colors and remain standing for the benediction.”
- Audience stands
- Emcee: "Color Guard, Retire the Colors"
- Color Guard marches forward and Retires the Colors
- Emcee: "(Reverend, Rabbi, Father …) will now give the benediction"
TLA Homepage TLA Membership General
Rules and Reg.s